Sunday, July 4, 2010

Taekwando

My wife feels strongly that my son has to take up martial art. We know someone, whom we gave tuition to during our high school time, who represented Malaysia in Karate competition. I share the same thought...

But I prefer something more Japanese since we know Japan better. I also like the Japanese way of discipline better. However, when we moved to Singapore and when my son was about the right age to learn, Taekwando class was available downstairs at our HDB flat. It was so convenient for us. The fee was reasonable too.

As usual, my son made noise and he was a little bit reluctant to attend the class. We persuaded him so much and we had to wait beside the training hall for the whole 1.5 hours every week. That was not an easy task.

Somehow, my son managed to learn very well as he always concentrated during the lessons. He had consistently passing all the belts in the last two years. Starting from yellow belt, 4 months later, he got his white yellow belt. Subsequently, every 3 months he had been promoted to the next belt, yellow, yellow green, green, green blue and now, blue.

Occasionally, I can see that he enjoyed the lessons. But occasionally, he might cry and accused me for forcing him to learn something that he did not like. I was in a dilemma. On one hand, I did not want him to stop as he had been doing well, but on the other hand, I also did not want to force him to learn something that he dislike. Luckily all those dilemma is now over.

Definitely, I see the benefits in learning Taekwando. His kick is powerful now. He was even selected to participate in a demonstration show. He even participated in a tournament this year and won a consolation price! Attached is the video click that I captured 1 - 2 years ago when he was in yellow belt and green belt.

I can see that he enjoys Taekwando now, especially since he won the consolation price in the competition. That seems to motivate him. To me, the skill he learned is one of the toys he has!








1 comment:

恩轩至佳 said...

Wow, wonderful kick..so cute!
He really can follow very well. It is good to attend this kind of class rather than just focusing on academic. I am also planning to send my daughter to kung fu class.
any good recommendation?