Friday, May 20, 2011

Flash Cards

When my wife asked me to listen to a salesman selling flash cards, my first reaction was... "Gosh..Are these people crazy?" I sat in the presentation for 1 hour, nothing went into my head, except that I memorized the title of the following book.





It took me 4 days to finish reading the book...(plus night). The book basically introduced Dr Glenn Doman's research i.e. how baby brain develops, and how stimulus helps. I am convinced. I shared with my friends and 7 of us bought the product in group to get a group discount. Due to this, the salesman recruited me as his agent. Each of the following books is teaching a different topic, but the main concept remains the same.

Other than words, one can flash a picture of a dog, and tell 10 things about the dog. Never simplify to say "wow-wow" but use a precise words such as "puppy", "Alsation", "Boxer", "Bull Dog" etc. The main concept thought by Dr. Glenn Doman is that baby wants to learn. So, it's adult's duty to stimulate learning by giving facts and explanations.

The other topics is the dots (Maths)... Baby will not have concept of "1", "2"... but one can flash dots representing the number. At one point, I played a game with my son to race towards one of the "11 dots" and "twelve dots". Even adult, one needs to count but my son could memorize (I guess) and he got it right twice in a row.





Why am I convinced? Dr Glenn Doman's gave good explanation in his book. For example, the book discussed about the experiment results on the number of brain cells comparison between two group of mice. First group is put on a huge rotating disc opened to stimulus. And the other group is enclosed in a black box. The group having exposed to stimulus has more brain cell in average. Another example is from observation about a kidnapped child who was left growing up in a confined dark room. The poor child could not grow although the child received enough food and water. This shows that "stimulus" is needed. And finally, Dr Glenn Doman's method was used to treat brain injured child and to some extend, the results has been shown.

Now, where can you buy those cards? The salesman who sold me the card is no longer in business. However, I found out that the following site in Singapore offers similar product.
Other site from US is The Gentle Revolution

Other alternative is to use DVD...(to be shared later)

1 comment:

An ordinary person on earth said...

I was not successful in using flash cards.... check out the next post. I will share why.