Monday, October 3, 2011

Teaching Hooked on Phonics

This is another post about teaching the Hooked On Phonics.

Below is a video clip taken during one of her revision lessons.


Here are a few guidelines that I follow. I am sure there are better techniques, if you know one, please let me know.

1) Conduct short lessons. In my case, I will stop when my daughter get bored, usually about 10-15 minutes.

2) Praise a lot... I know, I lose patient too, as you can see in video clip. And I did not praise as much as I am supposed to do.

3) Play games.. Hide and Seek Word Game. She finds a word from one page, sometimes, compete with her brothers.

4) Hint my daughter the phonetic sound of the first letter..

5) A bit unusual, but I played spelling game.

6) Practice often.. I print out one copy and let her revised whenever she feels like to do.

I am thankful that my son benefited from this course. I hope that I can repeat this with my daughter. I am encouraged that many friends use this too after I show them the products, I hope that they will be successful too.

My daughter is glad that I shared this with her friends. She seems motivated to read because her friends are reading the same thing!

8 comments:

Samantha said...

Your daughter is able to recognize,read and understand those words she's reading. Good job daddy & mummy and also the little one!

I couldn't keep laughing at your daughter's 'mad' face, she is such an active and cute child!

An ordinary person on earth said...

Thanks... yeah, I like the "mad" face too.. To me, what matter most is to keep her interest going. She requested lessons just now, but too tired today. :(

Anonymous said...

Hi, I love hooked on phonics to, in this way I can spend more time with
my children. I got on a site where it was cheaper on the recommendation
of a friend and I am very pleased. Here is the url: http://reviewjet.info/hooked-on-phonics/

An ordinary person on earth said...

Thanks for sharing. Yes, I agree that by using Hooked on Phonics, we will spend more time with children. In Malaysia and Singapore, sending kids to expensive phonics class seems to be a norm. I think I am the minority... Reasons for my choice is (1) to spend time with my children (2) Children's concentration is short, I believe at four, each lesson should be short and not 1-1.5hours.

LI SIAN said...

Hi, thank you for sharing. I agree on spending more time with our kids, that is why I am homeschooling mine. I am interested to get Hooked on phonics for my daughter, but I have heard that the DVD will not work on Windows 7. Is that true? Where can I get it in Malaysia?
thanks and you are doing really great!

An ordinary person on earth said...

I am not sure about the new DVD support ability in windows 7. Read Hooked on Phonics website. You can only buy Hooked on Phonicsin KL via Amazon, or second hand sellers. Some friends told me they prefer the old version of Hooked On Phonics.Older version has CD and not DVD,so, no worries on compatibility.

Hock Lai said...

A very bright girl indeed!
Yes I agreed that children concentration is short and HOP fits well with short lessons.

Hooked on Phonics said...

Thanks for blogging. I quite agree with your opinion of spending more time with our kids.